Sunday, September 18, 2011

Spoiled for choice in the city

This weekend has been a wonderful time to live in the city.

Two blocks west was SPARKcon and two blocks north was Fiesta Del Pueblo in Moore Square park. Too bad the weather was so unpredictable this weekend.  Saturday was cool and rainy, while Sunday was partly sunny, cool, and breezy. So after a snuggly, warm read on the sofa this morning with a few robust cups of coffee, I packed up the laptop and headed into the city to catch up on some fun and see some people other than Roxy.

I first hit SPARKcon and you can catch up on those posts below.

Around 4:00 today I realized that my too tight t-shirt and shorts were a bad choice for tooling around the city on a cool windy day - even if the shirt made my biceps pop!  So I ducked home and zipped into a hoodie.  I figured it would help me blend in better at the Fiesta.  I was wrong. I should have slipped into some black jeans, a black shirt, and some boots, but there was no hiding my white Anglo-Saxon protestant heritage. So rather than fight it, I embraced it while scarfing down a fantastic synchronizada from a taco truck. Woof!  That was the best grilled ham and cheese I have had in quite some time. Although I have heard that hunger makes the best sauce, the yellow mustard I slathered onto my snack was even better.



Once fortified, I headed into the park for some great Latino music, a bit of shopping, and some wonderful people watching.




















After a tour of Fiesta del Pueblo, I met Arjay, Cathy, Lowell, Jason, Clodagh, and Jerry at the pub for Sunday-Funday.  By chance MusicSPARK was having their last events of the weekend at my favorite watering hole. The acts included a flamenco guitarist followed by a guy who played a wonderfully odd guitar / harp and then a southern blues man.  It was a perfect way to end the weekend with my best friends, excellent music, and the most caring bartenders in town. My only regret was that the weather this weekend forced me to cram too many things into one day. More PBR please - I have a lot to catch up on....

No comments:

Post a Comment