Sunday, September 18, 2011

SPARKcon - live blog

I don't sing in public, I cannot draw very well, I am a middling writer, and my acting is limited to some seedy role playing. Therefore, I am a consumer of arts in all their forms - painting, theater, opera, live music, dance, film, literature, etc. Due to my lack of talent, I have the greatest respect for those who can create and have a desire to share their talents with others. For consumers of art - in all their myriad forms - this is one of the most exciting weekends in Raleigh - SPARKcon.

For this festival weekend, any group of creative people can form an idea, or SPARK, that they are then in charge of developing into a exhibition.  They are responsible for staffing, location, presentation, finding sponsors, etc.  So, each year the festival offers something different.  The first year I attended, I thought, "So this is what happens when hippies take over the city - its pretty freaking amazing!"  There is live music, hoopers, dancers, street performance, art exhibitions, fetish wear, hand-crafted clothing and jewelery, and street art abounds.

The street drawings always attract me.  Since I trudge these streets in my daily life, to see them brought to vivid color makes the city a lively and vibrant place.  Unfortunately, this year the weather was not very conducive to drawing in pastels and chalks on asphalt.  It was pretty drizzly all day on Saturday, so the production is not as much as in years past, but a few of my favorites are displayed below:

Friday

The week's slogan

Creating the magic



My favorite, without a doubt

No comments:

Post a Comment