Monday, September 12, 2011

The Departure of Cool and Breaking the Rules


The streets did indeed flow with Pabst Blue Ribbon beer this weekend.  The cool kids came, they saw, they desultorily bobbed their heads to the beat, they drank the city dry, all while looking as if they were not having any fun at all. Or, to be more truthful, they drained my neighborhood pub. So instead of my usual Sunday PBR, today I am blogging with a delicious Fat Tire lager on the bar next to my laptop.  Perhaps the quality of the blog will be improved with the quality of the brew.....

There are a few simple rules that I try to follow to make life more enjoyable, or to prevent the repetition of a previous mistake: Always be kind to your bartender or server, always say something nice when someone asks how you like their boyfriend or girlfriend, don't fish off of the company pier (i.e. don't date coworkers), don't shit where you eat, don't dine where you disco, and don't buy clothing where you purchase your food.  For the most part, these rules have served me well.

This weekend, I broke one of these rules.  I have finally admitted to myself that perhaps the waistband of my jeans is rolling over because I no longer have a svelte 32 inch waist. Once I accepted this fact, I decided that it was time to purchase some new jeans - and today the Gods of Retail smiled on me. How can you pass up Levi's for $22? So I dug through the pile of 40, 42, and 44 inch waist sizes to find the last 33 incher. Then I realized that the cut was relaxed (loose in the hips and thighs, tight around the ankle) so I was a bit disappointed. The days of looking like an inverted triangle are long past. But lo and behold, the next table of denim had a giant pile of straight-leg Levis for the same price. Jackpot! 

So I dug down through the pile and once again found the last 33 inch waist pair of jeans.  Happy, happy, joy, joy!  I tossed them in with the pork chops, sugar, coffee, orange juice, and headed for the check out line.

When I got home, I unpacked everything then slipped into my new jeans to give them a try.  Horrors!  The style was relaxed fit.  Lesson learned though - rules are there for a reason.  Perhaps it is time for a few more rules - never assume the entire pile of clothing is of the same make and model. Always read the label before you pay.  Otherwise, how can you expect to get what you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment