Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Attention Hackers - Man Bags are so 2009

Ally Capellino Derek Waxed Canvas Satchel

I am a bit of laggard when it comes to adopting new technologies. I tend to believe that the bleeding edge of technology is a messy place to be - the same with fashion. However, once a technology / fashion proves itself to be something other than a media fad, I am all about following the crowd and taking advantage of it to simplify / beautify my life. Let's be honest, laptops, tablets, and smart phones have completely changed the way we live our lives. These items have changed both conversation and debate. There are no more extended arguments about who starred in a movie, the year a song was released, or who is the governor of Oregon. So, I guess it was only a matter of time before some fashionable hacker took over my Paypal account and went on a London shopping spree.


I was up late last night working on the display screens for the International Festival, which is this coming weekend. Luckily, I was expecting an email from the festival's Executive Director, so I logged into gmail before shutting down my laptop. There,at the top of my inbox, was a receipt from PayPal for a purchase made at Karamell Limited for $252.64 or 157 British Pounds. Needless to say, I was a little shocked.  The first thing I did was confirm my checking account balance, because payday is a few days away. Luckily, my hacker was considerate enough to not spend all of my money. With that purchase, I would have about $10 USD left in my account. I immediately logged into my PayPal account and reported the purchase as fraudulent. Within a few minutes, PayPal froze my account and did not withdraw the purchase amount from my account.


This morning I did a little more research. The "man bag" displayed above was what the hacker purchased. The store from which he purchased it is in London and is currently in liquidation.  The hacker lives in Indonesia.


(Shipping address: 
A Seng
Tjg Dtk street number 20 A
Pekanbaru, RIAU
28000
Indonesia
Perhaps I will add him to my Christmas card list?)


So, if any of my international friends know or are acquainted with A. Seng, please tell him that his bag is not in the mail, and that I will be vacationing on his side of the planet next Friday. However, if he  would still like to purchase this man purse, he can get it for only $180 USD at this website. While these are apparently very nice, desirable satchels, it does pay to shop around. But of course if you are not spending your own money - price is not a consideration.


So, to finish off this posting - thank you Paypal for responding so quickly in resolving this issue.  Without your speedy response, my Netflix account auto-payment would have bounced and that bag would have become a much more expensive "gift" for my new best friend in far away Indonesia.  

2 comments:

  1. He hacked into my account as well. LOL there was no money in my account to take. But he was able to get ebay to send him some sunglasses.He also tried to order a hand bag. bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He hacked into my account as well. LOL there was no money in my account to take. But he was able to get ebay to send him some sunglasses.He also tried to order a hand bag. bastard.

    ReplyDelete