Sunday, July 17, 2011

Happy Week Ending....

This weekend was a good one.  Not too memorable, but refreshing nonetheless.  I finished up a project that I have been working on since April.  So the work week was focused on cleaning up loose ends and getting a few last minute items cleaned and published.

I started the weekend early with an al fresco lunch at Raleigh Times Bar with the work bunch, a quick workout, followed by a  celebratory massage.  (Thank you Groupon!)   

My appointment was in Cameron Village, so when I purchased the Groupon ($30 for an hour massage) I felt assured it was on the up and up. If you are not familiar with Cameron Village, it was the largest outdoor shopping mall in the Southeast United States back in the day, eventually covering nine suburban blocks. The shops were originally protected from the elements by a parking deck that surrounded the shopping areas.  So you had shade in the summer and cover in the rain.  As an aside, my first visit to see Santa Claus occurred in the CV.

However, over the years, the shopping center fell into disrepair, especially after the larger indoor shopping malls opened in the early 80's. It has since been renovated and is now a high-end shopping and dining area.  During the renovation, all but one of the parking garages were removed.

So, I was quite surprised to find the address of my appointment stenciled on the only remaining covered parking. I drove my MINI right back into the 1950's. It was dark, tawdry, dank, and a little sketchy, but there was a prepaid massage waiting for me and I was determined. My original thoughts of a respectable, spa-like massage business were slowly dissolving into a vague dream of happy endings. (My friend Arjay had suggested I wrap Mr Johnson with a $20 bill just in case....) 

So, I pulled out my handy dandy iPhone, launched Google Maps, and wondered around the village as lost as I could be. The push pin on the screen was showing my destination in the parking garage, but the only businesses facing into the garage were the Village Eye Care and a Hair Styling Salon specializing in gray helmets.  After making a call, I discovered that the business was located inside the Bryan Building, which is completely hidden inside the garage.  A long walk down an abandoned hallway - all doors closed - all mail slots taped over, I finally arrived at the 'Temple.'

The proprietor, Ross, greeted me warmly.  He was about 5'6'' or so with longish hair escaping from a poorly formed pony tail. I immediately noticed his almost freakishly huge, muscular hands, and started thinking that if I was killed in this building, no one would ever find me. After a brief interview about my expectations (deep tissue massage) and why I was there (celebrating the completion of a project), he completed his cup of tea, and I was lead into the "temple" where I was instructed to disrobe. 

I asked Ross, "How disrobed is disrobed?"  He left it up to me, but told me that I would be draped the entire massage.  I went full-monty, jumped on the table, covered myself up and waited. The obligatory raining/bells music was softly playing in the background. And I thought it was a little warm in there. The massage room had a distinctly home-made look with a stereo and some rock lights. The atmospheric lighting was trying its best to hide the age of the room, including the water stained tiles in the corners, but I guess in my travels, I have been man-handled in less glamorous locales - wink wink!

Up to this point, I may have lead you to believe that this was going to be something other than what it turned out to be, and for that I apologize. I have to say that Ross put his incredibly large, muscular, warm hands to great use. I grunted, sweated, gasped, had a cramp, and I think I actually fell asleep during the massage of my temples and ears.  It was FANTASTIC.  He found all the areas that needed work, focused on them, and provided an outstanding experience.  During the neck and scalp massage, I got a little misty.  All I could think about was how safe and happy I felt at the moment.  It was quite a lovely experience.

Regardless of the location and deep dive back to 60's office shabby, I highly recommend his services. I think that I will become a regular patron.  Indeed, we all need to feel warm, safe, and relaxed every once in a while.

See you later
Raleighboy444

No comments:

Post a Comment