Sunday, March 9, 2014

Vacation 2014: Embarkation

Tapas with Lanny, Jay, Glenn, and John
Someone asked before I left home, "Why do you keep going on these cruises?" The easy answer is that everyone should get away from the winter if they can. the more complicated answer is that each year I get to travel with my best friends as well as some people I see for only one week a year and others I have yet to meet, but want to know. In many ways, it is really like going to a family reunion. This family, however, is not uptight, judgmental, prudish, or unfriendly. Instead, it is a group of people who do not take themselves too seriously, who are not afraid to laugh out loud, dress up in silly costumes, and get away from their real lives for a week in the sun.

At the kick-off party, I was delighted to see John and Jay who arrived on Friday, but were staying at another hotel down the beach. The party also gave me a chance to catch up with other people I had not yet seen due to our island tour. Cocktails, tapas, (OMG - deep fried green olives - YUM), gossip, hugs, cocktails, and more laughs. Despite the kitchen having a difficult time keeping up with 200 hungry guys, it was fun evening.

Poolside recovery location
Our travel agency, Concierge Travel, made all the arrangements for 200 people's arrival, airport transfers, hotel rooms, kick-off party, and ship transfers. These guys are great at what they do. Everything is taken care of, so all you have to do is keep an eye on your watch and be where they tell you. All I had to do Saturday morning was drop my luggage off in the lobby, check out of the hotel, and spend the rest of the afternoon by the pool, pool bar, and beach until my name was called for the 3:45 transfer to the ship. Considering my slight hangover, that was a perfect way to relax a bit before embarkation. 

James' shipboard roommate, Corey, arrived Friday evening. James met him just before the kick-off party. As a single traveler, James took the roommate roulette option and took a chance on being paired with a stranger. So they spent the day on the beach getting to know each other before spending a week in a tiny ship cabin. From the looks of it, Concierge did a great job pairing the two of them. It looks as if they will get along and have a great vacation.

Dockside

Yep - this is the right ship

Safety first!
The transfer to the ship was skillfully executed. Upon arrival, we were greeted by Chi Chi Rones, welcome-aboard cocktails, and a table full of snacks. After completing the paperwork it was time to check out our cabins. Once again, the reveal was a pleasant surprise - spacious (150 sq ft) with a human sized bed. Not much storage, but plenty of room for my more-than-adequate supply of day, evening, and party wear. 

My home for the next seven days - complete with towel pet.

My port holes
The remainder of the day was filled with continued greetings to both new and old friends accompanied by cocktails, the sail away party, dinner, cocktails, Amy & Freddy, cocktails, dancing, and bed. 

Sail Away Party




This was one of the days that I had to remind myself that I am living a life I never even dreamed of living. I am so grateful and excited about our upcoming adventures.

Bruce, Glenn, Lanny, Jay, and John
More vodka please!

No comments:

Post a Comment