Thursday, July 19, 2012

Six Months in: Revisiting my 2012 Resolutions


One possible downside of posting your New Year Resolutions for everyone to see is that you may actually be held to them. This could also be an unintended benefit. So far, 2012 has been quite a memorable year - perhaps as a direct result of my diligent attempts to check a few items off this list.



So, here is my 2012 midyear resolution scorecard:
Score Card: Complete   In Progress   Not Started

  1. Break out of my comfort level and take more risks (career choices, relationships, spiritually)
    • Started a new job in March
    • Started a new relationship - still early days on this one
    • Completed a 10 week introduction to Buddhism course, which may have led me to a welcoming spiritual community.
  2. Pay off my car by July (two years early) and increase my emergency fund by $5000
    • The car will be paid off in September (23 months early)
    • Emergency fund up by $4000 (thanks to a consultancy gig)
  3. Pay off credit card debt by the end of the year.
  4. Read at least 10 more of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century (only 31 to go)
    • Eight books read (well three are from a single series, but still....)
  5. Rearrange my schedule and go to the gym in the morning before work
  6. Spend more time with cherished friends and make the effort to cultivate new friendships
  7. Have at least two fully planned and executed parties for friends and family
  8. Plan "Glenn days" for body and soul replenishment
  9. Say "I love you" more often - but only when I mean it

This year I included quite a few subjective resolutions that cannot be empirically measured. If the world does not come to an end on the winter solstice, I think the 2013 list or resolutions will focus on more concrete items with definitive end-points. Until then, I should get busy planning a party or two.

What have you checked off your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment