Thursday, September 6, 2012

Toga! Toga! Toga!

The smallest cabin ever - ever I say....

After about 45 minutes in line at the port, we were finally on board. I was eager to get to my room and freshen up after a day in the hot sun. I soon learned the difference between a big ship and a small ship – my single room was barely big enough to hold both me and my suitcases.

After a quick costume change, I went back up to the Tropical Bar for a sail away cocktail. Then I was back downstairs for my life jacket and the safety drill, which went pretty quickly. However, it was followed by quite a long welcome aboard speech by the captain – including introductions of the ship’s management staff. 

Life Jacket Drill and Captain's Welcome Aboard Speech






We were allowed to return our life jackets to our cabins and we joined our captain for the raising of the sails and the start of our journey into the Aegean Sea. As our ship mates slowly filtered away, John, Jay and I watched the sun go down before we headed down for dinner.


John and Jay at Sail Away Party

Raising the Sails

Leaving Athens - notice the smog layer

The smog layer follows us out to sea

John and Glenn at Sail Away Party

 
The dining room on the small ship is set up so that all tables are either six or eight tops. This forces everyone to mix and match your dinner companions and allows people to meet different people at each meal. Since we had a slightly later start, we were seated with a couple from Los Angeles and one of the ship’s staff. The food was really just OK – nothing to really write home about. 

The evening was topped off by a welcome aboard toga party. My people sure do love a costume party.

Jay, Lanny, and John

John, Glenn, and Jay

There is always a reason for a dance party


Bruce and Lanny
Yep, you guessed it. It was a late night, once again.
Next stop Mykonos.

No comments:

Post a Comment