Sunday, February 12, 2012

MINI, Plane, Taxi, Ship to the Caribbean

Like all great adventures, it is the mad rush of preparation before departing on a long awaited trip that stokes my anticipation and excitement. I was so busy yesterday that I had to turn down an invitation from Cathy and Arjay to join them for a bon voyage cocktail. However, those bags will not pack themselves – much like my beard will not dye itself.

I have been counting down the days to this trip since Christmas. This is the fourth year that my friends and I have cruised into the Caribbean to escape the tail-end of winter. And, even though this year’s temperatures have been among the mildest I can remember, it is the bleakness of gray skies, chilling winds, and naked trees that weigh heavy on my mood.

The past week was filled with appointments, workouts, last minute beauty applications, and the usual doubling up at work in preparation for being away for a week. However, I feel healthy, toned, groomed, whitened, confident, and giddily excited. Sadly, the weather in Florida today, much as it was last year, is a bit chilly. But, by the time we reach the Bahamas in the morning, all will be balmy sunshine with gentle breezes smelling of tanning lotion. 

And yet, with all of the preparations I made in the weeks leading up to this day, there was still a mad dash to the airport this morning. Due to expert packing , my checked bag was 2 pounds (1 Kg) below the weight limit; however, the combined weight of my luggage is nearly 80 pounds of clothing, costumes, and toiletries (large bag 48 pounds, small bag 28 pounds, plus backpack and laptop.) This is after I packed and re-packed those bags knowing that half of everything I packed would return home unworn. So a big thank you to Southwest Airlines for allowing both your first and second bags to travel for free.

In a few hours, I will be onboard the ship having lunch with my best buddies in the world. For the next week, all cares will be lost in a haze of raucous laughter, delicious food, themed costume parties, sunshine, dancing, cocktails, and friendship. From where I am sitting, life couldn’t get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment