Sunday, December 11, 2011

You Better Run

This was a great weekend for constructive boredom. I have some days off work that have to be taken before the end of the year, so I used one of them Friday. It was great to sleep in, have a big pot of coffee, and a long shower and shave. After a good read, I headed out to meet some of my former lunch buddies for a much anticipated lunch. While I miss these guys and gals everyday, I didn't realize how much until we were all back together, sharing a meal and getting caught up. This a group of friends who all share the same warped sense of humor and are not afraid to laugh at themselves as well as each other - all in friendship of course.

After a tearful goodbye to end our lunch, I headed over to the Harris Teeter to pick up ingredients for a giant pot of chili. Apparently everyone else had the same idea since the shelves were pretty bare of the required fixings. But, I prevailed and got the pot up to boiling by 3:30. Besides my signature ingredients, everyone knows that a good pot of chili requires many hours of simmering, so I curled up on the sofa for a long evening of guilty pleasure television and pot stirring.

Early Saturday morning, the pot of chili went back on the stove to warm up and I prepared myself for a long run in the cold weather.  My friends, Cathy and Arjay, were holding the 4th annual Wandering Beaver: Loose on the Neuse charity 5K / 10K run to benefit the Special Operations Fallen Warriors foundation. This run started out as a fun run a few years ago and has steadily grown over the years. This year approximately 40 people participated in the run, which was followed by a huge spread of carbs, fruit, hot beverages, and chili all chased down by either Arjay's Scottish Ale or Cedar Plank Porter home brew. There was music, a fire pit, great stories, laughter, and general holiday merry making for a great cause. This year, the race raised over $800 for the foundation, which was more than double last year's contribution. Although I have fervently and vocally complained about running in the cold both years that I have participated, this will soon become one of my most cherished Christmas traditions - plus I shaved 5 minutes off my time from last year.

Needless to say, with the home brew flowing, the die-hards who stayed to the bitter end, were brimming with "holiday spirits." When I arrived home, I smelled a bit like a drunk boy scout, just home from a three day camping trip - musky, beery, and smokey. The bed never felt so comfortable as it did Saturday afternoon. The early evening hangover, however, put a damper on the remainder of the evening's festivities and after a hearty dinner of leftovers, I was back in bed dreaming of running through neighborhoods festooned with holiday decorations in the cold winter sun.  Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment