Thursday, December 25, 2014

Reminiscing: My first step towards the path


In the Spring of 2012 I took my first class at the Kadampa Buddhist Center. I had been putting it off for nearly year. Periodically, I would check out their website, look at the class schedule, and find some reason for not attending a class or a Sunday morning teaching. Honestly, I was more than a little intimidated. I have never really been a joiner and I was concerned that upon visiting the center, I would be surrounded by fervent, empty eyed believers, like Scientologists or Amway salesmen.
When I finally communicated with someone at the center, they recommended I start with the Meditation 101 class, which is non-denominational. This class teaches basic meditation skills and would be of benefit should I decide to continue studying Buddhism.

Kadampa Center Stupa
I remember my first impressions of the center. Except for the stupa, the building is somewhat nondescript. The people in the lobby were warm and welcoming when I walked through the door. There seemed to be quite a few newbies attending the class, which was conducted in the Gompa (the place of quiet learning). There were pews in the back of the room, chairs down the sides, and cushions in the middle of the room - all facing the altar. Having been raised as a Methodist, I found the vibrant colors on the altar, in the tangkas (paintings), and prayer flags to be somewhat shocking.

But, when in Rome....

Lhamo
I took my place on a cushion. When our teacher, Lhamo, entered I was at first unable to stop staring at her shaved head, but that only lasted a few minutes. Her calm demeanor, thoughtful answers, and good humor soon won me over. Since that first class, I have spent time on the cushion nearly every morning to start my day as well as some evenings to end the day.

Nearly two years later, the vibrant colors are now soothing, the people continue to be happy and friendly, the teachers are inspiring, and while I am a long way from enlightenment, I just may be a slightly better person than I was - which is really the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment