Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Family Vacation 2013: Excursions



Vodka tonics ward off the malaria
Saturday, our first full day at sea, was sunny with some scattered showers. We were sailing into a head wind, so it was necessary to hold onto your clothes, hats, and wigs if you were planning to sun yourself on the upper decks. I started the day with a nice run, followed by a few Bloody Maries to start the day (BTW, what is the plural of Bloody Mary?). Then found a chair to sun myself and have a few after lunch, afternoon, and before dinner cocktails. It was a lovely day of relaxation.

Wanda, Kristin, Kaitlin, and Glenn
In my pre-cruise planning I intended to avoid excursions. Instead, I thought I would have some quality time on board and maybe have a few spa treatments while all the families were ashore enjoying the sites. But, my sister and nieces needed a fourth person to fill out their kayaking party. I was thrilled to be asked and happy to share the time with three of my favorite people. 

Sunday we awoke off the coast of Florida. We were docked at Cape Canaveral around 10:00 AM and were off the ship shortly afterwards for our Kayaking at Manatee Cove excursion. 

Cheesecake!
The cynic in me thought that we would either be hitting a tourist destination where manatees were held captive for our enjoyment or we would spend two hours in a kayak and never spot a manatee. I was wrong on both counts. 

The spot where we set off in our kayaks is a rather large cove off of the Indian River. Apparently this cove provides the manatees with all the things they love, such as fresh warm water, vegetation, and kayaks to rub up against. As soon as we had everyone in the water, we started seeing manatee noses poking above the surface. Then there were backs and tails and flippers and manatees rubbing against our kayaks. Of course we were warned not to touch, but it was impossible not to sneak a tickle and a rub as they surfaced around our kayaks. My niece, Kaitlin, was so excited she stated that having rubbed a manatee, she could die a happy person. Being much closer to that milestone, I was simply happy to scratch something off my bucket list. 

Kayaking Cuties!

For the "where's Glenn" collection








After floating with the manatees, we headed out for a relaxing nature tour in our kayaks. There were all sorts of birds, fish, and some bottle nose dolphins (in the distance) for us to see. Kaitlin was a great kayaking companion. We had another opportunity to float among the manatees on our return to the boat launch. We had a “road kill” experience with a manatee who surfaced right in front of our kayak as we were heading to shore – we simply skimmed across its back, no harm done, but I guess manatees always have the right-of-way, regardless if they are in the cross walk or not. 

That bump in the water on the left is our road kill victim
A thunderstorm blew up on the way back to the ship. Our tour guide had arranged for us to stop at an Indian River Orange stand where we purchased a few jars of marmalade and some delicious fudge. As we headed out, we discovered that there was a leak directly over Wanda’s seat. Whenever the bus would slow down or speed up in traffic, a bucket’s worth of water would pour down on her. Even fudge could not make that a better experience. 

The "Bates" Orange Grove / Fudge / Taxidermy Stand

















Monday, we pulled alongside the cruise line’s private island, Coco Kay in the Bahamas. Wanda and Kristin went para sailing and I took another kayaking trip. The excursion’s description did not mention that all the kayaks were tandems. Luckily I got paired with a nice Economics professor who kept me company as I rowed. He made some effort, but in the end, he was simply moving his paddles in the proper manner. Perhaps he was unaware that the paddles must actually touch the water to have any effect. I consoled myself with thoughts of all the calories I was burning following our dinner at Giovanni’s the previous night. So, no harm done, it was a nice morning on the water. 

Unfortunately, a little after lunch, we were rained out and had to return to the ship. Those darn isolated thunderstorms continued to chase us across the ocean. Must be time for a nap!

Upon reflection, I will have to do a little math, but I think that with this trip, the Bahamas are now the most visited country in all my travels. Hmmm - it may be time to remedy that with another visit to Mexico, Canada, England, Italy.....

1 comment:

  1. let me know when you go to Italy. Arjay and I could use another trip. =)

    ReplyDelete