Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Who's a Whore (for entertainment)? Me!

I love a good movie – especially one that makes me think about something differently, shows me things I have never seen, or entertains me for two hours with spectacular effects. But, I freely admit that last Wednesday night, I felt a little guilty, a little dirty, and a bit ashamed for having spent two hours watching the extremely underwhelming G.I. Joe: Retaliation in IMAX 3D.

Is this how it feels to sell yourself for so little?

 

The Backstory:

Since the IMAX theater is two blocks from my condo, Carl and I invested in IMAX Power Passes last November. For an initial $40 per pass investment, we can see any IMAX Hollywood Production for the low, low price of only $5, rather than $14. We can also purchase tickets before they go on sale to the general public and we do not have to pay the dreaded ticketing service charge for online purchases.

The best perk, is the VIP line. All Power Pass holders enter first, without having to wait in line for 45 minutes to get a good seat. This is really convenient, especially when planning dinner before a 7:00 PM movie. We walk in 10 minutes before the movie starts and still get prime seating.

Since the movies are so inexpensive and because Carl is a bargain hunter extraordinaire, we have seen every movie, except Top Gun in 3D. Some have been really good movies for IMAX (Skyfall) and IMAX 3D (The Hobbit, Oz the Great and Powerful), some movies were really just for fun and something to do (Jurassic Park in 3D) and some were real stinkers (G.I. Joe: Retaliation).

Basically, we are determined to see every movie shown at the IMAX theatre in order to maximize our investment. Now, in retrospect, would I have seen the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park if I were paying full price – No. Would I have even gone to the $2 theater to see G.I. Joe – Never.

Therefore, I think that I can safely and honestly say that I have become a whore - a whore for entertainment. Worse, I am a cheap whore. I sold myself for only $5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment